District Grand Lodge Orange Free State

of antient free and accepted masons of england

Craft Lodges

Blue Lodges

Contacts

District Grand Master RW Bro. James van Zyl 082 902 3399 jacvzyl@connix.co.za

Deputy District Grand Master W Bro. Hon. Dr. Yaw Gyasi-Agyei 082 492 6392 yaw@jpc.co.ls/yaw@lifeplus.co.za

District Grand Secretary W Bro. Dr Howard Castelyn 078 012 0548 hdcastelyn@yahoo.com

District Grand Senior Warden W Bro. Robbie Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

District Grand Junior Warden W Bro Neil Olivier 0721169190 neilnre@gmail.com

District Grand Treasurer W Bro JA Smith 082 379 3049 andre@jasacc.co.za

Administrator Mrs. Avril van Zyl 082 505 1354 dglofs@connix.co.za

Alan B Gordon Bethulie

# 3528 EC. EST. 1911

Meetings held on

1st Saturday in February, May and August and the Installation Meeting is on the 4th Saturday in October

Contact

Master W Bro R Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

Senior W Bro S E Hutchings 071 017 6668 stephenh@consultants.medway.co.za

Junior W Bro S M Rampoporo 082 759 9985 rampoporsm@gmail.com

Secretary Bro P H Myburgh 082 906 2953 myburghjg@gmail.com

Treasurer W Bro Cobus Otto 074 077 5212 cobus.otto13@gmail.com

Address

PO Box 12945 Brandhof 9324
Meet at Masonic Temple
31 Pretoria Street
Bethulie

History

Masonry in Bethulie started with a Lodge of Instruction established in 1908 as a satellite of Evening Star Lodge in Burgersdorp. The independent Alan B Gordon Lodge was established in 1911 as part of the Eastern Division which at the time included the Free State . It was named in honour of the then District Grand Master of the Eastern Division, Bro Alan B Gordon of King Williamstown

Before long, Lodges were established in several neighbouring towns in the southern Free State , among them Springfontein, Trompsburg and Smithfield . Sadly all later closed or moved northwards and today Alan B Gordon is the last surviving Masonic lodge in the southern Free State . However, it retains strong ties with Lodges in Aliwal North, Burgersdorp and Colesberg, all three part of the Eastern Division.

Most of Alan B Gordon’s members are living in and around Bethulie though the Lodge also attracts members from other towns. From 2000 the Lodge went through a difficult period when membership dwindled and activity was limited. It has since revived and is developing bold plans for the future.

Ficksburg Lodge

# 3553 EC. EST. 1911

Meetings held on

1st Saturday in February to December. Installation Meeting is on 1st Saturday in November.

Contact

Master W Bro E Asala 083 800 8008 asalaeben@yahoo.com

Senior Warden W Bro N Lezar 082 641 9158 info@agriweigh.co.za

Junior Warden Bro S T Sengoai +266 6326 0834 taolanes086@gmail.com

Secretary W Bro LMR Esther 078 577 9880 rodney.esther@gmail.com

Treasurer W Bro I P Shekleton 083 455 2005 judian1@telkomsa.net

Address

Meet at Masonic Temple
Corner Lang and Piet Retief
Ficksburg, 9730

History

The lodge was consecrated in 1911 and in the early period of its existence the most prominent member of the Lodge was Jonathan Todd.

Todd was a stonemason by profession and arrived in Ficksburg in 1903. During his tenure in Ficksburg he built the NG Church as well as the Ficksburg High School hall – both out of sandstone and both still standing today. The school relocated to new premises but the Hall has remained the property of the High School and houses an internationally acclaimed collection of art – including several murals by Pierneef and can be viewed by arrangement. Todd later became Mayor of Ficksburg and became Master of Ficksburg Lodge in 1920.

Todd’s sandstone home on the corner of Kestell and Lang Streets still stands today. He also owned several erven behind his house and donated land to Ficksburg Lodge on which the existing premises are located on the corner of Lang and Piet Retief Streets.

Rising Star

# 1022 EC. EST. 1864

Meetings held on

1st Tuesday of every month except January and July. Installation meeting in June on the Saturday closest to St John’s Day

Contact

Master W Bro Neil Olivier 0721169190 neilnre@gmail.com

Senior Warden W Bro Schalk Geel 072 579 7308 schalkgeel@yahoo.com

Secretary RW Bro James van Zyl 082 902 3399 jacvzyl@connix.co.za

Treasurer Bro Eugene Smith 084 420 7041 eugenesmith22@gmail.com

Address

PO Box 12945
Brandhof
9324
Meet at Masonic Centre, Spitzkop, Bloemfontein

History

The Lodge was inaugurated on the 31st of May 1864, but the actual signed Charter was only received from Cape Town on the 4th October 1864.

On the 4th January 1865 at “High Noon” a Past Master W Bro West performed Inauguration Ceremony. That evening nine new members were initiated.

The Lodge was consecrated and dedicated on 24th June 1868 . Amongst the dignitaries present was W Bro JH Brand, President of the OFS Republic .

Sadly during the 1stWorld War Bros Baumann, Miller and Goldberg paid the supreme sacrifice

Rising Star in March 1928 became the first of only three Lodges in South Africa to be awarded the Hall Stone Jewel presented to Lodges who donated funds to rebuild part of Masonic Hall in London, the worldwide headquarters of English Freemasonry, in the wake of World War I.

Sir John Brand Lodge of Installed Masters

#3035 EC.

Meetings held on

4th Thursday in May, August and November. Installation meeting is on last Saturday in February.

Contact

Master W Bro R Croucamp 083 262 1792 croucamp.riaan@gmai.com

Senior Warden W Bro N D Olivier 072 116 9190 neil.nre@gmail.com

Junior Warden W Bro R Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

Secretary W Bro J J Swart 072 349 6235 johanswart@lantic.net

Treasurer RW Bro J J van Zyl 082 902 3399 jacvzyl@connix.co.za

Address

PO Box 12945
Brandhof
9324
Meet at Masonic Centre, Spitzkop, Bloemfontein

History

When the Lodge was formed on 10th May 1905 in Ladybrand, it fell under the authority of the District Grand Lodge of Natal as did other Lodges in the Eastern Free State and Lesotho (then Basutoland ) at the time. The Lodge took its name from Jan Brand, later Sir John, President of the Free State Republic from 1847 to 1874. Sir John Brand was a mason initiated in De Goede Hope Lodge, Cape Town .

Sir John Brand Lodge transferred from Natal to the District Grand Lodge of Orange Free State in 1969. The Lodge celebrated its Centenary in 2005. In 2007 a decision was taken, to convert to a Lodge of Installed Masters which relocated to Bloemfontein , its present venue.

Mimosa Lodge

# 4396 EC. EST. 1922

Meetings held on

2nd Saturday in March, April, June, July and October. 3rd Saturday in September and Installation is on 3rd Saturday in November.

Contact

Master W Bro A I Botham 084 666 8462 aibotham@gmail.com

Senior Warden Bro S M Rampoporo 082 759 9985 rampoporsm@gmail.com

Junior Warden Bro M A Thokoane 073 169 5627 tmajone@webmail.co.za

Secretary W Bro Dr. H D Castelyn 072 324 4070 hdcastelyn@yahoo.com

Treasurer W Bro R Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

Address

PO Box 12945
Brandhof
9324
Meet at Masonic Centre, Spitzkop, Bloemfontein

History

The Lodge was in recess during 2009 and was moved to Bloemfontein with effect of 23rdJuly 2011

It is currently our University Lodge aimed at students etc.

Star of Bethlehem

# 2522 EC. EST. 1894

Meetings held on

3rd Saturday in March, June and September. Installation meeting is on the last Saturday in January.

Contact

Master W Bro JA Smith 082 379 3049 andre@jasacc.co.za

Senior Warden Bro L Slabbert 082 824 4512

Junior Warden Bro M Weatley 074 580 1444 wheatleymel@gmail.com

Secretary W Bro N D Lezar 082 641 9158 info@agriweigh.co.za

Treasurer W Bro C P J Bester 083 268 5902

Address

16A Union Street
Bethlehem

History

The Star of Bethlehem Lodge was established under the auspices of the District of Natal and the Warrant was granted on 6 June 1894 by HRH Edward Albert, at that time Prince of Wales and Grand Master of the Order. It is not clear where the first meeting was held but the Lodge building was erected before November 1894.

The foundation stone of the present Temple which is in Union Street, Bethlehem, and can be seen at the entrance to the Temple was laid on 3 December 1903 and consecrated on 2 May 1904. The existing Temple was built by Bro Dick ‘Birdie’ Kaplan.

The Mayoral Chair in Bethlehem was occupied by Masons on 23 occasions and Masons of the Lodge figured in the Dorpsbestuur as Councilors, Magistrates and Ministers of Religion. Mention must be made of Bro Reverend Tom Elliot who was a stonemason who rebuilt part of the existing Methodist Church. Several members of the Lodge were also members of Parliament or Senators and many streets were named after Masons in recognition of their service to the town.

The sports stadium ‘Goble Park’ is named after W Bro Percy Goble who was a member of the Lodge, and W Bro Laesecke was a founder member of the Bethlehem Golf Club.

Royal Arch Chapters

Red Lodges

Contacts

Grand Superintendent E Comp James van Zyl 082 902 3399 jacvzyl@connix.co.za

Deputy Grand Superintendent E Comp J F (Man) Jansen 083 400 0980 man.jansen29@gmail.com

District Grand Scribe E E Comp Dr Howard Castelyn 078 012 0548 hdcastelyn@yahoo.com

2nd District Grand Principal E Comp Robert Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

3 rd District Grand Principall E Comp Hon Dr Yaw Gyasi-Agyei 0721169190 neilnre@gmail.com

District Grand Treasurer Comp Andre Smith 082 379 3049 andre@jasacc.co.za

Administrator Mrs. Avril van Zyl 082 505 1354 dglofs@connix.co.za

King Edward VII Royal Arch Chapter

# 1022 EC. EST. 1910

Meetings held on

Installation on Saturday closest to St John’s Day in June Regular Meetings 3rdTuesday of February ,May, August and November.

Contact

MEZ E Comp Dr Howard Castelyn 078 012 0548 hdcastelyn@yahoo.com

Scribe E E Comp Robbie Allam 084 207 8997 roberta6@absamail.co.za

Address

Masonic Centre, Spitskop
Bloemfontein

History

King Edward VII Chapter was granted a Centenary Charter with effect from 11th November 2010. During the hundred years of its existence the Chapter has drawn its membership from Rising Star Lodge No.1022 and the other English lodges now operating in Bloemfontein but has also attracted Masons from other Constitutions in the region.

The Chapter was formed in 1910 under the District Grand Chapter of South Africa (Eastern Division) and in 1936 was transferred by mutual agreement to the District of Transvaal under which jurisdiction it remained until the formation of the District Grand Chapter of Orange Free State in 1967. The Chapter continues to play a major role in the Order in the central region of South Africa.

Mimosa Royal Arch Chapter

# 4396 EC. EST. 1940

Meetings held on

Installation 4th Saturday in November Regular meetings Second Saturday May, August, February

Contact

MEZ E Comp Theuns Louw 083 260 5336 theuns.louw@hotmail.com

Scribe E E Comp Ian Botham hilary.botham@yahoo.com 074 477 5973

Address

PO Box 12945
Brandhof
9324
Meet at Masonic Centre, Spitzkop, Bloemfontein

History

The Mimosa Chapter was founded in 1940 and shared a home with Mimosa Lodge. In 2008 a decision was taken to sell the Masonic Centre in Zastron, since neither the Craft or Royal Arch could sustain themselves .Fortunately, means were found to rescue the Lodge and Chapter by relocating them to Bloemfontein.

Orangia Royal Arch Chapter

# 2522 EC. EST. 1942

Meetings held on

Installation 0th Saturday Regular meetings 3rd Saturday in March, July, November

Contact

MEZ E Comp Ian Shekleton 083 455 2005 judian1@telkomsa.net

Scribe E E. Comp. Hon. Dr. Yaw Gyasi-Agyei 082 492 6392 yaw@jpc.co.ls/yaw@lifeplus.co.za

Address

Ficksburg Masonic Lodge
26 Lang Street
Ficksburg

History

Orangia Chapter was originally attached to the Star of Bethlehem Lodge, which was founded in 1894. The Chapter was founded, albeit falteringly, during the Second World War in 1942, before emerging in 1948 and finally gaining strength in 1956. This was also the start of major changes in the North-East and Central Orange Free State. Farmers had learnt to dig deeper and find coal and gold.

E Comp P A Laesecke PGADC was the first MEZ of the Chapter from 1942 to 1951. He was still a member in 1977 when the Chapter had 16 members. E Comp B J van Rensburg, Grand Superintendent, was already active at this time and he became the next stalwart, being a member until 2004, when he was tragically killed returning from a meeting in Ficksburg. in the earlier years seven English Lodges (three within 60km) provided members to the Chapter in Bethlehem. By 1985 only three remained within 100Km. This was reduced further when Golden Hope Lodge in Heilbron relocated in 1990 to Sasolburg. In May 1991, the chapter decided to transfer from Bethlehem to Sasolburg due to low attendance. Although Orangia Chapter was actually 20 members strong, Golden Hope Lodge had candidates wanting to join a chapter.

Sir John Brand Royal Arch Chapter

# 3035 EC. EST. 1986

Meetings held on

Installation 1st Saturday in November Regular meetings 1st Saturday quarterly in March, May and July

Contact

MEZ E Comp Ian Shekleton 083 455 2005 judian1@telkomsa.net

Scribe E E Comp Hon. Dr. Yaw Gyasi-Agyei 082 492 6392 yaw@jpc.co.ls/yaw@lifeplus.co.za

Address

Ficksburg Masonic Lodge
26 Lang Street
Ficksburg

History

Sir John Brand Royal Arch Chapter No.3035 was consecrated on 15th March 1986 at Ladybrand where it was attached to Sir John Brand Lodge meeting at the Masonic Hall in Prinsloo Street. The Chapter was well supported over the years by the nearby Maseru Royal Arch Chapter as well as by Companions from Ficksburg and Bloemfontein. In 2007 the Chapter was transferred to Ficksburg where it now provides a Royal Arch home for Brethren of the active Ficksburg Lodge.